Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Crock pot granola

It's official! I am a Utahish house wife. I am posting blogs about cooking granola in a crock pot. It's strange, really, to think of myself that way..I kind of like it. Anywho, this is some yummy granola that I made in my crock pot and I thought others might like the idea.

What's in it?
1. 5 cups oats (just regular quick oats/rolled oats/oat meal)
2. 1 cup flax seed
3. 3/4 cup coconut flakes
4. 3/4 cup slivered almonds
5. 1 stick butter (melted)
6. 3/4 cup honey
7. 3/4 cup dried cranberries
Really you can add anything you like or take out what you don't. These are my preferences. I don't actually ever measure anything so if the measurements seem really off to you feel free to change it up!
Mix everything (I leave the cranberries out until the last 30 mins).
Cook on high for 4 hours, stirring frequently (about every 15 minutes) and vent by sticking a wooden spoon under lid. This isn't clumpy like trail mix granola, its more like cereal. I love it with milk. I think for it to clump you have to add A LOT more butter and honey. Oh, and if the cranberries are in the whole time they get really hard instead of chewy.

After the 4 hours and a lot of stirring (if you don't stir enough it'll burn) and when it's golden brown, dump out and spread on a piece of parchment paper. let cool and dry out, stick it in a zip lock or sealable container! You're done! Enjoy!

I have this for breakfast nearly every morning after making it! I really like it and I think it's pretty healthy aside from the stick of butter;)

4 comments:

  1. You cute housewife! :) Come back to Utah and cook for me! love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This stuff is GOOD! you rock Kell! I just got some GREAT recipes we'll have to try; I'm gonna be the little cooker when I come back. And I'm super excited about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious! I hope to try it soon.

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks yummy. Cooking granola in a crockpot-huh, who knew? And you will be a cute little Utah homemaker!

    ReplyDelete